To use iDashboards software you MUST have some form of SQL Database. We often suggest MS SQL as there is a lot you can do with it and they also offer a FREE version if you are uncertain of purchasing or using another type of SQL Server (MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL). This is also the SQL Database iDashboards uses, so we can offer more support and training.
Installing MS SQL Server Express
If you do not have a purchased copy of MS SQL Server please install SQL Server Express and SQL Server Management Studio (free download) from:
SQL Server Express (scroll down a bit and it will be on the right)
- Select Basic Installation
- Read and Click Accept
- Choose your installation location and click Install
- Then click on Install SSMS (the next download)
Installing SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
Also please download and run the installer for SQL Server Management Studio (just in case you clicked close)
- Click Install
- Close - if this seems to take forever to install check your firewall settings to make sure the appropriate ports are allowing it through.
- Open SSMS
- RIGHT click on the Server
- Select Properties
- Set Server authentication to SQL Server and Windows Authentication Mode and Click OK
- This must be set as iDashboards needs SQL Server authentication, but most organizations use Windows Authentication Mode to login to SSMS.
This will be useful once you have SQL Server Express and SQL Server Management Studio installed onto the new server to help you set up or copy your repository (if migrating servers) so you know how the HTML software works with your data.
SQL Server Configuration Manager
You need to have TCP/IP Enabled and the necessary port(s) open on SSMS.
- To resolve: Open SQL Server Configuration Manager
- If it is not listed in your Start Menu type in the following in your Windows Search
- For SQL Server 2019 use SQLServerManager15.msc
- For SQL Server 2017 use SQLServerManager14.msc
- For SQL Server 2016 use SQLServerManager13.msc
- For SQL Server 2014 use SQLServerManager12.msc
- For SQL Server 2012 use SQLServerManager11.msc
- Once it is open, select SLQ Server Services if: SQL Server, SQL Server Launchpad, and SQL Server Browser are running, then you are all set, if they are not:
- Right click on SQL Server then select Service
- Set Start Mode to Automatic
- Click Apply, then OK
- Repeat for SQL Server Launchpad, and SQL Server Browser
- Next you will select SQL Server Network Configuration
- Select Protocols for SQLEXPRESS01 (Or which ever one your are utilizing)
- Right click and select Enable
- Then right click again, this time selecting Properties
- It should show Enabled Yes, Listen All Yes
- If it shows TCP/IP Enabled you can go to the next step, if not:
- Select IP Addresses
- Then scroll all the way down to the bottom to IPAll and set TCP Port to 1433
- If using already choose another port but make note of it as you will need for your iDashboards software installation.
- Click Apply then OK
- You can then close out of SQL Server Configuration Manager
We would also like to get your data sources connected and any security configurations you may want in place, please have all of the following information ready for your next steps.
- Go through the MS SQL Basics for iDashboards Users to obtain the following information:
- Type of Database:
- Current Version:
- Server Name or IP:
- Ports Using (if not 6700 and 1433):
- User Name:
- License file
- Will you be using SSL/LDAP/LAPS/SSO - this is important to know so we can plan the appropriate amount of time for your installation or migration.
Once you have all of this done, please contact TruOI Support and we can work on the iDashboards installation.
Please Note If you are migrating servers please see the following links:
- Migrating your iDashboards to a new MS SQL Server
- Migrating your iDashboards Software to a New Server