This requires Admin privileges.
The idashboards.log file is a log file(s) automatically created and maintained by the iDashboards application server. The idashboards.log file(s) records server requests and activity. Entries that are more recent are appended to the end of the file. Some typical data that can be found in the log file(s) are: User-specific information, user activity and date/time. This data can be combined into a single file, or separated into distinct logs depending on the size. Log files are mostly used by the iDashboards Support Team to troubleshoot any technical issues. This documentation explains how to log the most verbose error, download it, and send it to the iDashboards Support Team.
Downloading the File(s)
- First we need to go into iDashboards Admin and access the System Logs screen by going to: System, then System Logs. The System Logs screen will load as shown:
- Make sure the Log Settings are similar to those shown:
- Set the General Level: to Debug
- Enable the JSON Logging
- Enable the HTTP Request Logging
- Click Save, then pop up box will appear with the following message:
- The log settings have been successfully updated.
- Click OK
- The active log file (idashboards.log) and any existing archived log files (idashboards.log.1,
idashboards.log.2, etc.) can be downloaded through the System Logs screen. Select the
desired files from the list on the right side of the screen and click Download…
- Select the files you would like to download, typically the Support Team is looking for the idashboards.log file, if they would like a different log file they will instruct you further.
- The selected files will then be bundled into a ZIP file by the server and downloaded.
Obtaining Log Files
At times, your application might not be responding and you need help from the Technical Support Team.
They will need to view the log files to troubleshoot the issue. Here is an alternative way to prepare the most verbose input to the log file.
- Stop the application server (iDashboardsSRV)
- Open the ivizgroup.properties file to edit from the following location:
- <iDashboards Install Directory>\config
- iDashboards Install Directory: C:\Program Files\iDashboards_SRV\ivizgroup\config
- Set the log.level property to DEBUG. This value must be one of the following: ERROR, WARN, INFO or DEBUG (default: INFO). DEBUG will produce the most verbose output, and ERROR will produce the least verbose output. DEBUG should only be used when troubleshooting. After the application server has been started, the log settings can be changed through the log settings of the iDashboards Admin. Upon server restart, the log settings will revert to those configured in this file:
- Restart the application server (iDashboardsSRV)
From the Server
If you are unable to get to the admin application:
- Go to your <iDashboards install dir>\logs directory on the web server
- C:\Program Files\iDashboards_SRV\ivizgroup\logs
- Copy the idashboards.log file(s)
Sending Log Files to Support
When working with iDashboards Technical Support Team to troubleshoot problems with the server, it is useful to provide the iDashboards log file(s) to the support representative. Problems can be accurately and efficiently diagnosed and corrected if these steps are followed prior to contacting iDashboards Technical Support Team.
- Prepare the log file as described in Downloading the File(s)
- Replicate the error such that the most verbose information is logged in the file
- Download the log file as described in Downloading the File(s)
- Email the ZIP file containing the log file(s), along with a description, and the screen shots of the
error(s) to iDashboards Support
For More Information:
- iDashboards Admin Manual 13.4. Log Settings
If the above is unable to resolve the issue, then please contact iDashboards Support for further assistance.
Please sign in to leave a comment.