This will require Builder privileges for setup and implementation.
What are Cascading Input Parameters?
Cascading Input Parameters allow for intelligent sorting of a parameter based on the selection that you have already made, more simplistically stated as parameterized picklists.
Creating a new cascading input parameter can be confusing the fist time. This will help anyone get through the process. I will show you how to create a cascading input that uses organization names to filter users that work for that organization.
Creating Cascading Input Parameters
Creating Dashboard Parameter #1
- You will need to first click the Dashboard Parameters menu at the top left of your dashboard builder.
- This allows you to create new Dashboard parameters to be used. In the bottom right corner, click the plus (+) sign located above OK and Cancel .
- You will now Name the Parameter, this is important, so be sure to keep it simple and consistent.
- Now make sure your data type is correct. This is a Number value. Select Dropdown List and click Define.
Creating a Picklist Parameter #1
- Now select Picklist and click:
- Select for one already created OR
- New for the one we are creating
- Most of the time you will be using a Dynamic Data Source. Dynamic data sources will allow for adding a new option at a later time without having to come back to the picklist and add more options. To create the dynamic data source you must have data, like an Account name and account ID. You can use custom SQL or select the source of the data, we have our data in the data store.
- Give your picklist a name, and select the appropriate category. Then select a value for the data column and data column type. I set the data columns to use my organization names and the value is going to be the display name, however, you could use something like and Org ID number. Set your values and Save.
- Select Refresh On Change and click OK. If your filtering allows for multiple values, also select Allow Multiple Values. You would use this to include users from several companies in our return set, or if your chart allows to compare two companies and the employees.
Now that we have our organization parameter set up, we need to now create our user parameter.
Creating Dashboard Parameter #2
- Again, in the bottom right corner, click the plus (+) sign located above OK and Cancel .
- Create a name for your new parameter, Name, the control type again will be Dropdown List and click Define.
- Name the Parameter, this is important, so be sure to keep it simple and consistent.
- Make sure your data type is correct. This is a String value. Select Dropdown List and click Define.
Creating a Picklist for Parameter #2
- We need to create a new picklist so click New.
- Select the data source that holds your user data. If you are not using Custom SQL you will need to select the table and click Next.
- Now select the record you want to use to filter the data, we are using the Account name so we select Organization.
- After, click on the filters tab and click the plus (+) to add a new filter. At the bottom left of the screen click Macros in the example macro section you should see the macro you just created double click on your macro to move it to the filter. Click OK and save your changes.
- Now that the picklist definition screen has come up enter a: picklist name, category, and data column value as before, then click on the parameters tab.
- Be sure to check refresh on change. Click OK.
Now when you are done you should see an arrow showing the link between the two parameters. If you see a red X then click on the link to find out more information.
Adding Filters to Charts
- At this point you will be able to add the filters of both parameters to your charts.
- Select the Chart Type and Finish creating your Charts utilizing the Cascading Input Parameters (Parameterized Picklist).
For More Information:
- Input Parameters 11:05
- Dashboard & Chart Design Articles
- iDashboards Builder Manual 8 Designing Charts
- iDashboards Builder Manual 13 Input Parameters
- Previously Read: Multi-Valued Parameters
If the above is unable to resolve the issue, then please contact truOI Support for further assistance.